Wednesday, 21 August 2013

End Of Chapter Four

After thirty days of being in that place, they let me out! I am now sitting in a house in the countryside and I can hear sheep! I haven't heard sheep for a such a long time. I have never felt so relieved to get out of that place before. Discounting the two platelet reactions, medically speaking, this stint in hospital has gone incredibly well. In other ways, not so much. It has been tough emotionally, but I look back and wonder how on earth did I manage to be in isolation for such a long time without scratching at the walls. For me, this last stint in hospital has been an answered prayer. 

I had a bone marrow biopsy yesterday. Normally they would take a biopsy later but because I signed up to a research trial they have taken the sample earlier - the treatment regime is the same for both trial and non trial. The results from this will be the first indicators of the transplant having worked or not worked. 

So now what? Well I will be monitored closely in clinic twice a week for a while and I still have to abide by strict neutropenic rules while on the outside - restricted diet, avoiding crowds, avoiding people with coughs and colds. Once I get off my immunosuppressant tablets, then I will be able to start to be a bit more liberal. Normally, I would break the rules, but if there is the slightest hint of infection or new symptoms, I will be straight back into hospital - that is something I would like to avoid at all costs.

This for me recovery for me is when things start to get exciting. It is a time when I can figure out how to be me again and see where God's plan takes me. I don't know how long it will take, probably six months or more, but I know God will get me there. Watch this space.

1 comment:

Please leave your comments and questions here. Some people have had problems with this box so it might be worth saving your comment on a Word document first before you publish it in case it deletes it. Alternative ways to contact me are through Facebook and email on