Monday 27 May 2013

People

People. They come in all shapes and sizes; a funny breed wouldn't you agree? But what is really interesting about this species is their personality. The age old argument of nurture vs nature is still relevant. But maybe the choices that are made, either for us or by us, shape personality; maybe who we are is a reflection of our choices. 

People watching is a fun past time of mine. Sitting by a window in a coffee shop and watching people going about their life interests me. What are they thinking? How are they feeling? Where are they going? It is possible to tell a lot about a person without even speaking to them, but it is when you converse with them that you find out if you were actually right. 

Being a patient in hospital can reveal much about, not only yourself, but others too. People from all walks of life, without exception, come through these doors every day. As an inpatient, it is a privilege, and a debatable
blessing, to be able to meet so many people. We all have different stories, we have all made different choices that has led us to this point were our lives will intersect for a little while. One phrase that is thrown about here is just be true to who you are. An interesting concept but unfortunately not incredibly helpful. For example, if who you are is confused and broken, should you then live your life being true to that? The truth is, we are all, myself included, are confused and broken. As I listened to the painful stories that made up a life, it dawned on me that there is no difference between the person talking to me and myself. But for some reason, we are on very different trajectories.

I think that this is a result of one single choice. It is a choice that was made that changed the direction of my life. There is no other reason why my life has not ended up like most of the stories I have heard apart from this one choice. I chose to let someone else make the choices for me. But not just anyone. I chose someone who will make the right choice every time; someone who always, without fail, will do what is best for me, even if it means enduring hardship for a little while. His name is Jesus and He is God. It is only now, when I look back at the journey I have travelled can I see where He has intervened and where He has made course correction adjustments. It is a hard thing to do, give up the driving seat, and it's always painful at the time; but I know I will never make another choice because I know God and I trust him which is more than I can say for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Hi dearie! Had on my heart to share this hymn with you.

    “Great is Thy faithfulness,” O God my Father,
    There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
    Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
    As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

    “Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!“
    Morning by morning new mercies I see;
    All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!

    Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
    Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
    Join with all nature in manifold witness
    To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

    Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
    Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
    Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
    Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and questions here. Some people have had problems with this box so it might be worth saving your comment on a Word document first before you publish it in case it deletes it. Alternative ways to contact me are through Facebook and email on starigunarathne@gmail.com